The town of Mendez-Nuñez was originally known as "Gahitan", one of the many barrios of Indang. The name was derived from the word "gahit" meaning "to cut", because the people then had to cut down tall and thick cogon grass that abounded in the place in order to clear areas for agricultural and residential purpose.
As time went on, the number of houses in Gahitan increased so that the sitio eventually became a barrio and finally a full-fledged town on 1 December 1875, thanks to Governor-General Jose Malcampo y Monje (1874-1877). Malcampo incorporated the three barrios of Gahitan, Palocpoc and Anuling into one independent Municipality called Mendez Nuñez, after a Spanish naval officer and close friend, Commodore Casto Mendez Nuñez. In 1856, when they were still Spanish naval officers, Malcampo and Mendez-Nuñez, established the first Masonic lodge in Kawit under a charter from the Grand Lodge of Portugal. The friendship of these two officers had been tested in many a battle against Muslim pirates in Mindanao.
Pedro Aure was the Gobernadorcillo of Mendez during its first year as a municipality in 1876. Cayetano Aure, perhaps a relative of Pedro, was the first and only capitan municipal of Mendez during the First Philippine Republic (1899-1901). Pedro’s son, Marcelino Aure, became a famous general during the Philipine Revolution. His Nom de Guerre was Alapaap.
Mendez continued to be a municipality from 1875 to October 15 1903, under Public Act No. 947 of the Philippine Commission reduced the 22 municipalities of Cavite to nine. Mendez and Bailen (now General Aguinaldo) were incorporated into the municipality of Alfonso. But 12 years later, on 1 January 1915, Mendez regained its independent status as a municipality of Cavite Province.
HISTORY OF THE BARRIO OF ANULING
1. Official Barangays in the barrio
Anuling Cerca I
Anuling Cerca II
Anuling Lejos I
Anuling Lejos II
2. Derived from the tree called Anuling which means a kind of hard wood.
Names of sitios----- Sambal, Loob ng Anuling, Tabluan and Pulo.
3. Date established - 1852
4. Original families are:
Isaac Gatpandan and Juana Ferma
Florentino Ferma and Manucia Dimapilis
Damaso Cuadra and Teresa Dimapilis
HOW ANULING BECAME A BARRIO
About the beginning of the 18th century, there were few scattered living near the newly discovered brook by the side of the burned tree named Anubing. An abnormal woman who happened to discover the brook insisted to name it as Anuling brook, derived from the burned tree where it was located.
The original families who were living near the vicinity and west of Anuling Brook agreed to construct a road near their homes, so that they could communicate to each other easily. The road was laid from North to South so that the home of the six families could be located by the side of the road. After the construction of the road, the said families named the sitios as Anuling Brook meaning Anubing, a kind of hard wood. They believed that the people who lived in the sitio possessed strong bodies and are resistant to any kind of sickness, and bear strong heart that could resist all kinds of adversities. From that time, on the name Anuling remains.
Not long after naming the Sitio Anuling, the people from like Sambal, Tabluan and Pulo were inspired to live and build their homes in the Sitio for during that time, the people could claim the land where they lived and cultivated.
Important Facts, Incidents or Events that took place:
A. During the Spanish Occupation
1. 1896-1900 - Bantayan, a kind of check point during the time, was placed at the northern and southern ends of the barrio of Kaybabaya.
2. Revolutionist under the command of the late General Marcelino Aure of Gahitan, now Mendez were the following:
A. Tomas Dimapilis and Guillermo gatpandan who happened to shoot Damaso, a Spaniard by the nickname Casuy
B. During the American Occupation up to World War II: Events happened during that time:
During the first year of the American Occupation, Jose de Castro was hanged by Francisco, an American soldier. Bernardo Ferma was tortured by tying to the tail of a horse which brought him to town, and another man by the name of Valerio Ferma was severely informing them about General Marcelino Aure known as “Alapaap” and his brother, Delfin.
American Schools were established in 1911. Pupils were coaxed to enroll by giving them all supplies needed In school. The first teacher was Miss Maria Aure, the sister of General Marcelino Aure.
This school did not exist long, because there was no building available in the locality. Later, the school was established again in a lot about half hectare which was donated by Mr. And Mrs. Mauricio Nuestro, in order to have a school site.
Another school was opened on September 27, 1929. This lasted up to 1941.
C. During and After World War II
During the Japanese Occupation, the people secretly organized the so called “guerilla” which which was composed of every able-bodied man in the locality who voluntarily joined the organization, in order to defend the locality. On September 1, 1943, the japanese forces zonified the locality to look for Mr. Ricardo R. Noche known as “Capitan Caballero” who was sensed to be one of the leading personalities in the guerilla organization.
Among those tortured by the Japanese were the following: Mario Dimaplis, Ricardo Noche, Arsenio Gatpandan, Hernando Ilagan, Honesto Garcia, Pio Viado, Pedro Ferma, Eustaquio Cuadra.
April 1955, the school was again opened and classes were held in rented buildings. Three years after, the National Government set aside the amount of P20,000.00 for the construction of the school.
During the school year 1947-1948, classes started in te newly constructed buildings with additional two rented buildings.
We were forced to vote for a man who the Japanese Forces selected. We followed the dictates of the higher officials of the Japanese Forces.
The Japanese Language was enforced in school, side by side with the English Language. Pictures and sceneries in textbooks that pertained to the Americans were covered. Their purpose was to prevent children from learning something about the lives of the national Heroes of the Americans and their patriotism.
The people in the community also enjoyed, as when were under the Americans Regime. The people in the community held their fiestas not so extravagantly as what did before the coming of the Japanese.
Destruction of Lives:
1. During the Spanish time 1896-1990
Died in Mainit:
1. Anacleto Gatpandan
2. Ciriano Custosa
3. Agustin Custosa - killed by Spaniards
4. Dionisio Rojo
2. Killed by Americans 1900-1902
1. Valentin Romilla
2. Antonio Ferma
3. Fermin Almo
4. Simeon Penafiel
5. Gregorio Cuadra
HISTORY AND CULTURAL LIFE OF THE PEOPLE OF ASIS
1. Official Barangays in the barrio
2. Asis derived from the patron saint of St. Francis de Asisi.
3. Name of the sitios included within the jurisdiction of the barrio:
4. Date of Establishment - 1988
5. Original Families
HISTORY OF BARRIO ASIS
North of the Poblacion of Mendez is the barrio which is officially known to the people of Mendez and the neighboring places of ASIS. It is a kilometer away from the center of the poblacion. Most of the settlers came from Kayquit, a barrio of Indang. The barrio includes the sitios Imus, Ulahipan and Pasong Tico.
On September 1888, a meeting was held by the barrio folks as to purchase a wooden image of a saint from which the name of the barrio could be based. The people contributed Seventy Pesos (P70.00) in silver coins with the engraving of King Alfonso of Spain. The money was locally called Meck. Two names were given to the Image, vis. San Francisco de Asis and Sand Francisco de Javier. After a long discussion, the prominent people of the barrio consulted a priest who advised them to select the name of San Francisco de Asis. Since then the barrio became known as Asis. To show the religious influences of the Spaniards a small church (tuklong) was constructed. The first formal religious celebration in honor of the patron saint was held on October 4, 1888. Since then the barrio fiesta is celebrated on this day up to the present time.
In this barrio, there were seven outstanding families namely: Antonio Dimaranan, Felipe Dimaranan, Braulio Dimaranan, Pedro Dimapilis, Valentin Mojica, Lorenzo Perey and Enrique Alegre.
STORIES OF THE SITIOS
1. IMUS -This name was derived from the clamor of Imus or limus as dole-out alter singing for the departed souls on November 1st, the church celebration of All Saints Day.
2. ULAHIPAN -This name was derived from a many-legged animal which is always mistaken as spider or an insects called centipede. During the latter part of the Spanish Occupation, a bridge was being constructed and near its place a man was bitten by a centipede which nearly caused his death. Since then the barrio was named “ULAHIPAN”
3. PASONG TICO -In 1929, the National Road between Indang and Mendez was constructed. A foreman “capataz” whose nickname was Tico took charge of the filling up of depression located between the boundaries of Mendez and Indang. After the construction, the name Pasong Tico was given to the depressed land.
IMPROTANT FACTS/ INCIDENTS/OR EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE
During the Spanish Occupation - The battle at Ulahipan. In this battle, the sentinels of Ulahipan, some pro-Spanish Filipinos and Spanish soldiers, the barrio guards armed with old types of guns and bolos held their lines, advanced and were able to make the enemies retreat. However, the enemies were able to enter the town of Mendez through Habulin, another gate-way to the poblacion. Hence, the pro-Spanish Filipinos and some Spaniards were able to establish their homes in the town.
During the American Occupation up to World War II - NO events of vital importants took place in this battle.
During and After the World War II - No important events happened in Asis.
Destruction of lives, property and institutions during war especially in 1896-1990 and 1941-1945.
1. During the years 1896-1900 - no lives, properties and institutions were destroyed in this barrio.
2. In the years 1941-1945 there were people from this place who were killed, one at Italaro, and another at Tagaytay City. Foodstuffs as cassava, ube, sweet potato, chickens, pigs and cows were taken forcibly by the Japanese soldiers during the Japanese Occupation.
Measures and Accomplishments towards rehabilitation and reconstruction following World War II.
After the last war, may persons concerned received from the government of US and the Philippines compensation and pension for the loss of the lives of their loved ones, who died in line of duty. The people planted their fields with all the necessary staple foods. The people were given fertilizers by the government.
HISTORICAL DATA OF BARRIO GALICIA
1. Official Barangays in the barrio
2. Derivation and meaning of the name - In honor of the barrio’s patron saint (Apostle Santiago de Galicia)
3. Name of sitios: Sitio Kumilap, Pulong Bunga, Taktakan, Timbain and Banayad
4. Date of establishment - Later part of the 18th Century
5. Original families are:
6. Landmark - Bagong Tubig
South of the poblacion of Mendez is a barrio which is officially known to the people and the neighboring places as Galicia. Before the barrio is known only as Santiago, because people were not exactly aware that the full name of their patron saint was Apostol San de Galicia. Later on, the name Galicia was adopted. Barrio Galicia is adjacent to the poblacion.
Formerly, Galicia held its fiesta with the poblacion. After twenty years, some barrio folks decided that they must have a specific date of celebrating the day of their patron saint. It was in the year 1982, that as per suggestions of the seminarians from Tahanan ng Mabuting Pastol and based on the Bible, July 25, was the natal day of Apostol Santiago. Since then, the barrio fiesta is celebrated on this day up to the present time.
The population of Galicia is 92% catholic. Seventy percent (70%) of the people residing in this barrio earn their living thru farming, while other thirty percent depend on business, employment, including those who are working oversea. Men are born industrious.
Galicia Pastoral Council was established after a year of the Seminarian stay in the barrio. Engineer Ric Balinado was elected president.
HISTORY OF BARRIO PANUNGYAN
1. Official Barangays in the barrio
2. The name Panungyan was derived from the vernacular “Pang-u-wayan” which means a place where the “uway” or rattan is granted.
The Spaniards who came to the place could not pronounce the word so they shortened it to Panungyan, the name the barrio is now known.
This barrio has several sitios included in its territorial jurisdiction. They are Pulong Panday, Coral, Talang and Iba. Pulang Panday got its name from the fact that the people first used that place as a smithy or ”pandayan” with all their work animals. “Talang” was named after the star that the first settlers saw the night they arrived at the place. It was bright that they thought its the good men, so they decided to call the place by that name. “Iba” is a place which can be reached from the barrio by slopping downward path. In their conversation while going to the place they often say, “Tayo ay paibaba nang paibaba” which means we’re going downward and downward, that it became the name of the place.
The barrio of PANUNGYAN with all its sitios was established during the latter part of the nineteenth century. Formerly, this was a part of Anuling and Gahitan, now Mendez, which was in turn part of Indang.
The Original families who inhabited the place were Juan Peñalba, Agaton Peji, Ambrosio Panganiban and one called Marianong Patay, the name given to him because he came back to life, the reason no one could tell. These men selected the place, it being near river with running water being consider as a very important thing in life.
During the period, the place was under the Cabeza de Barangay, the Comandante and the Gurdia Civil. Their duties were to govern the people and to keep peace and order. All orders and laws were made by higher Spanish authorities. Later on, when the Americans conquered and ruled the country, a more democtratic rule was used. The Teniente del Barrio took place of the Cabeza. Among the well known were following: Juan Peñalba, Alejandro Peñalba, Clemente Vida, Bruno Peji, Degracias Gatpandan, Juan Diego, Esperedion Bobadilla, Pablo Panganiban, Benito Peñalba, Felipe Arguson and Angel Mojica. They all tried to make the barrio progressive and peaceful.
Very few historical facts could be found related to the barrio. During the Spanish and the American times, being remote, very little incidents happened. During World War II, the people like those in other places felt the tyranny and aggressions of the Japanese. They felt the religious, moral, political, social, economical depressions, which however did not greatly affect all of them. Records show that the only son of the place loss his life in Bataan, others being fortunate enough to be able to return. The barrio during the Japanese Occupation was able to help many people from different places because of the gabi and other root crops which they planted at the place during that time.
After the Liberation on 3 February 1945, the town people as well as other people and places needed some rehabilitation. They needed work animals to replace those eaten and places needed some rehabilitation. They need to improve their homes which were neglected for lack of funds. Some of their relatives suffered and died. They were able get some money from the War Damage Commission for lost of properties and destruction, some from the Rehabilitation Finance Commission in the form of debts, and other from Veterans Board as pensions or compensation for services rendered either for lives lost or disabilities.
HISTORY OF BARRIO PALOCPOC
In one of the corners of the town of Mendez, there arose a barrio which bears the name of PALOCPOC. Now, as before, it’s official name remains the same. In the southern part of the vicinity, there was an improvised bridge between the neighboring barrio and this place is called Palocpoc. Later, when the people from the neighboring barrio together with some Spaniards visited this place, they found out that the people were pounding abaca fibers which were woven into sinamay cloth called “pinokpok”. The Spaniards inquired from the weavers about the name of the product. Upon hearing the answer, the Spaniards repeatedly exclaimed: “ah, pinapalo, pinupukpok.” So they shortened the two words and called the place PALOCPOC
Sitios were also found in this barrio, formerly, there were two iconic sitio -SItio Clara and Sitio Tabluan. Now, the former was depopulated, hence, only sitio Tabluan still exists. According to information received from the aged barrio folks, the date of establishment of the barrio was on the early part of the eighteenth century. Since the beginning, there were only two families from that place, from which the people originated, namely Basilio Cuadra and Ignacio Vicedo. Since the establishment of the barrio, a list of tenientes from the earliest time to date was noted. Even before the coming of the Spaniards, the position of leadership already existed. There was only a slight change in the chief. Formerly, the barrio was headed by a “Teniete de Cabeza” which was later known as “Teniente del Barrio.”
During the Spanish time or occupation, there was a guard house known as “korita” or “bantayan sa kanto.” Two guards stayed there overnight. There was a schedule followed. The passengers who were going in and out of the barrio were carefully checked by the guards. One time, a group of outlaws planned to attack the barrio people. They happened to pass the guard’s house without the guard’s knowledge for they are sleeping. But a miraculous event happened. When the leaders were to give order about the raid, they saw a huge shadow of the man holding a sword who gave them Almighty Power to stop the raid. It had been the practice too, during the time to regard the ruling class of their leaders.
For example, if teh ruling class needed something from the common man which the latter refused, the former in return reported the common man to his superior for punishment. The punishment given was to be a servant of the priest. The servant had to serve the priest as long as the latter needs his service.
During the American Occupation up to World War II, the barrio was peaceful. Seven men guarded the barrio to maintain peace and order.
During and after World War II, the barrio was raided by the outlaws known as Texas. At first, there was no force to fight them. As the people of the community could no longer resist the hardship they were encountering, they asked for voluntary contributions from authorities concerned. Soon a force was set up. Later, a neighborhood association was organized to defend the barrio from the attack of these outlaws.
In 1896 to 1990 the barrio was peaceful. There was no destruction of lives, properties and institutions. Looting properties in the barrio took place during the period of 1941-1945.
CREATION OF SEVEN BARANGAYYS IN THE TOWN PROPER
As we have learned and studied, Barangay is the Philippines oldest surviving political institutions. The fact that a barangay in its earliest of existence was ruled by a “Datu” is generally known.
What I not known is the fact that the term barangay is the form of “Balangay” or “Biniday” meaning the boat that the datus and their families were riding on, upon setting foot on the island of panay.
As in the past, the baragay is a small political unit; infact today it constitutes the smallest unit in the political organization of the Philippines. The bigger one, are the municipalities, cities, provinces and the national government. But as Lord Bryce, a British statesman, had fondly said, the smallest political unit in any political organization, the barangay in our particular case, is the most important in so far as the people live are concerned for it is in this unit that people live, move about and feel the warmth of life.
Mayor Francisco L. Mendoza by virtue of MLGCD Memorandum Cicular No. 79-13, Feruary 12, 1976 created seven (7) barangays in the poblacion:
- Barangay I (Gulod) - covering Alegre Street on South to Dimaranan Street on Nort, Habuling Creek on East and Imus Creek on West.
- Barangay II (Ulalio Estacion) – covering Dimaranan Street South, Aure Street on Nort, Habuling Creek on East and Imus Creek on West.
- Barangay III (Habulin) – covering Aure Street on South, Osorio Street on North, General Luna Street on West and habulin Creek on East.
- Barangay IV (Burgos) – covering Aure Street on South, Imus Creek on West, Osorio Street on North and General Luna Street on West.
- Barangay V (Sakat) - covering Osorio Street on South, Bonifacio Street on North, and General Luna Sreet on East and Sakat Creek on West.
- Barangay VI (Upli) – covering Osorio Street on South, Urnay on East Atanacio Creek on North and West.
- Barangay VII (Siete) – covering Atanacio Street on East, Bonifacio Street on South, Perey on North and Sakat Creek on West.
Immediately after the creation of these barangay, the following were Appointed as Barangay Chairman:
- Barangay I - Mr. Mariano Perido
- Barangay II - Mr. Pedro Perido (Mr. Marcelino Rozul replaced Mr. Perido who resigned for health reasons)
- Barangay III - Mr. Virgilio Maraan
- Barangay IV - Mr.Demetrio Aure (Mr. Gabriel Alegre assumed the Chairmanship due to the sudden death of Mr. Aure)
- Barangay V - Mr. Enrique Mulintapang
- Barangay VI - Mr. Augustin Maraan
- Barangay VII - Mr. Pamfilo Perey (Mr. Gabriel Alegre assumed the Chairmanship due to the death of Mr. Perey)
Mr. Pedro Perido acted as a Chairman of the Association of Barangay Chairman